Women’s Herstory Month at Fresno State is in full-swing with films by and about women screened Friday and Saturday, March 16-17, and other activities showcasing accomplishments of women and programs that empower women.
The CineCulture film series presents a collection of Persian short films followed by discussion with Dr. Jasamin Rostam-Kolayi, an assistant professor of history at California State University, Fullerton. The program begins at 5:30 p.m. March 16 at the Leon S. and Pete P. Peters Educational Center in the Student Recreation Center (Shaw and Woodrow avenues).
Besides Women’s Herstory Month, the films mark Nowruz, the Iranian New Year.
The Persian and French Film Festival continues March 17 with:
- “Pay Back” at 1 p.m. in Kremen Education Building, Room 170.
- “The Hedgehog” at 1 p.m. in Kremen, Room 172.
- “We are Half of Iran’s Population” at 3 p.m. in Kremen, Room 170.
- “Hidden Diary” at 3 p.m. in Kremen, Room 172.
- “A Bit of Color” at 6:30 p.m. at the Alice Peters Auditorium in the University Business Center.
Other Herstory events:
- A discussion by Women’s Studies students on “Exploring Rape Culture at Fresno State” at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, March 22, in the University Student Union, Room 312-314.
- “Honoring ‘The Help’: A Tribute to Black Domestic Workers” panel discussion among former domestic workers and local historians at 3:30 p.m. March 25 at the Henry Madden Library, Room 2206.
- Singer Natalie Gelman performing at noon March 28 in the Pit of the University Student Union.
- “Writings from the South Asian Diaspora: A Book Reading from ‘The Peppermint
- Generation…Not!’” by Dr. Roksana Badruddoja, an assistant professor of Women’s Studies, at 12:30 p.m. March 29 in the University Student Union, Room 312-314.
- Women’s Alliance and People Organized for Women’s Empowerment and Representation will present a fashion show promoting positive body image for women at 7 p.m. March 29 in the University Student Union, Room 312-314.
For more information is available through the Women’s Resource Center at 559.278.4435. CineCulture info: Dr. Mary Husain at email@example.com.
(Copy by University Communications student news assistant Nicole Maul.)