A Fresno State team of marketing students completed what may be the world’s largest bowl of cereal – 3,333 pounds – on Wednesday, Dec. 12, amid a steady drizzle that could not dampen their spirits. The record is pending verification by Guinness World Records.
Starting at 1 p.m. at O’Neill Park on campus, the five-member team and a handful of volunteers took about 90-minutes to surpass the current record – a mere 2,200 pounds – set in 2007 by Kellogg’s South Africa in Johannesburg.
The students and four other teams in Dr. William Rice’s Marketing and Strategies 188 class will submit their claims to Guinness in London for the 4-6 week verification process. They are claiming the world’s largest chocolate mousse, dessert party, cup of lemonade, serving of salsa and, now, bowl of cereal.
Rice said it is the first time that multiple teams in a semester all completed their stated goals.
Several attempts have been made in recent years by Rice’s students and verified by Guinness with the most recent in the past year: the World’s Largest Fruit Salad made in fall 2011 and the World’s Largest Smoothie made in spring 2012.
Student participants this semester are:
- Largest Cup of Lemonade: Mina Chanthavongsa, Daniel Garcia, Candy Inphay, Kareli Morfin and Ross Ruona.
- Largest Serving of Salsa: Karen Garcia, Gurbir Samran, Gabriela Plascencia, Jasmine Ayala, Diego Gonzalez and Ali Elijah Yang.
- Largest Dessert Party: Bianca Barrientos, Charlotte Kallerman, Cecilia Nguyen, and Sao Vang.
- Largest Chocolate Mousse: Rachel M Schilling, Eneida Gonzalez, Stephen C Partain, Zach Patterson and Ariel Q Hernandez.
- World’s Largest Bowl of Cereal: Trent Ewert, Ryan Moore, Shelby Grove, Ariel de Jong and Kannon Robbins.
- Previous press releases: Students attempt world’s largest bowl of cereal Dec. 12; Marketing students take on four world records this semester.