The Farm Market at California State University, Fresno will present its Summer Harvest Festival on Saturday, June 30, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The event, based on last year’s popular Summer Solstice Celebration, will feature various cooking and BBQ demonstrations and samplings of farm products produced and/or processed by Fresno State students at the 20 enterprises of the 1,000-acre University Ag Lab, or “University Farm.”
Representatives of the enterprises will be available to give cooking tips on their products, offering samples and tastings, and discuss their programs.
The University Farm produces a variety of row crops, nuts, olives, vegetables, plants and flowers and fruit as well as award winning wines, olive oil and meats — that are sold through the Farm Market.
Proceeds benefit agriculture research and programs at Fresno State. A display of farm equipment purchased the past two years as a result of proceeds also will be on display at the festival for the public.
The occasion also marks the first year anniversary of the “FRESNO STATE FARM FRESH” theme introduced at the first festival for Solstice in 2006.
Among the features of the June 30 festival will be tasting of fresh sweet corn dipped in Fresno State butter, samplings of meats and sausages processed by students on campus and the recently released Summer Solstice 4-Pack. The package features four popular wines: the 2003 California Solstice, the 2006 San Joaquin County Chardonnay, the 2006 Muscat Canelli and the 2004 Cabernet.
The university’s Dairy Processing Unit will present a free ice cream tasting — an event also begun a year ago that has since been a popular draw at the market the second Tuesday of the month. Several new flavors introduced for the summer will be presented at the harvest festival for customers to sample and give their feedback. The tasting kicks off National Ice Cream Month in July.
Other planned activities the various enterprises (with links to related press releases):
• Meat lab: barbecue and sampling of meat products such as Bulldog sausages and the award-winning junmai skirt steak produced by Meat science students. (http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2007/02/iunmaisteak.htm)
• Table grape: tasting of fresh grapes, raisins, value-added raisins
• Vegetable: boiled sweet corn with butter, watermelon sampling, grilling of farm-fresh vegetables with Fresno state olive oil. (http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2007/05/Cornisback.htm)
• Dairy processing: ice cream, cheese, and other dairy product tasting. (http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2007/03/chocolatemilkteam.htm and http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2006/07/icecreammonth.htm).
• Ornamental Horticulture/Nursery: plant care and nurture, potting
• Ornamental Horticulture/Floral: flower arrangements
• Winery: food and wine pairing and wine recommendations (http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2007/06/solsticwine.htm).
• Food Processing: sampling of products from food processing lab (http://www.fresnostatenews.com12006111/beeclub.htm).
For more information: 559.278.4511.