A major step in the Henry Madden Library construction project – remodeling of the South Wing, where library personnel and services are currently housed – is drawing near and will prompt some changes and relocations.
The South Wing will close for renovation on May 19 but Library personnel, services and materials will continue to be available to students, faculty and the community.
Most library staff members will be moving into temporary modular units south of the Satellite Student Union. They will remain there through December and then will move back into new Library, which will open in January 2009.
“Throughout this transition, the library will remain open – just in a different location,” said Library Dean Peter McDonald. “We know some library users may be inconvenienced, but we promise to keep disruptions to a minimum as we continue to serve their needs.”
McDonald said everything is available for checkout except for special collections. All types of materials – including books, journals, videos, maps, music – may be checked out. Users will continue to request materials online and pick them up University Center Room 123 (formerly called the Renaissance Room). Photocopiers also are available
in UC 123.
Student laptops will be available for checkout in UC 5, next Services for Students with Disabilities. Printing is available in the laptop area in UC5.
Access to library databases and electronic journals continues to be available online 24/7.
The status of other services is as follows:
- Reference help is available in person on the main floor of the University Student Union, on the telephone (278.2174), and through
- Instant Messaging (maddenlibrary on AIM, Yahoo Messenger and MSN).
- Research assistance is available by making an appointment with a reference librarian or subject liaison (see list of names and e-mail/phone numbers below).
- Instruction on library resources is available through online tutorials, Blackboard modules, or through in-person instruction in the classroom. Contact Monica Fusich at 278.7673 for more information.
- Print and electronic course reserves are available.
Contact Christy Delbon at 278.3972 for more information
Special Collections (278.2595) and Arne Nixon Center (278.8116) materials are available for use by appointment.
Research assistance is available by making an appointment with a Reference Librarian or subject liaison. They are:
- Carol Doyle, 278.3033 – College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
- Monica Fusich, 278.7673 – College of Arts and Humanities
- Gretchen Higginbottom, 278.7172 – Craig School of Business
- Patrick Newell, 278.5182 – Kremen School of Education & Human Development
- Mike Tillman, 278.2054 – College of Engineering
- Jane Magee, 278.8186 – College of Health and Human Services
- Mike Tillman, 278.2054 – College of Science and Mathematics
- Diane Majors, 278.2518 – College of Social Sciences
Updates on the Madden Library construction project are available at http://maddenlibrary.org/updates/index.htm