September is California Wine Month and the Fresno State Winery will present its first “Sip-tember Tour” that includes pouring of award-winning, student-produced wines at the Gibson Farm Market on campus and at community events and tastings throughout the month in the Fresno area.
The observance kicks off at 1 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 4 at the Gibson Farm Market with enology students presenting their 2014 regional and state wine awards to the university.
Weekly Fresno State Winery tastings begin at noon Friday, Sept. 5 with two gold-medal winning wines — the 2011 California Syrah and the 2007 Saviez Syrah. These gold wines will also be available at a 20 percent discount for a three-day special.
A month-long membership drive for Fresno State’s wine club, Unleashed, will culminate with the Fig Garden Wine Walk from 5-8 p.m. Sept. 25.
The full schedule for the Fresno State “SIP-tember Tour” is:
- Sept. 4: Fresno State Winery gold medals presentation at Gibson Farm Market (1-1:20 p.m.)
- Sept. 5-7: Fresno State Winery tasting at Gibson Farm Market (3-6 p.m.)
- Sept. 6: A Taste of River Park (6-10 p.m.)
- Sept. 7: Ag Boosters BBQ at Borba Ranch (3-6 p.m.)
- Sept. 12: Harvest Ball for Children’s Hospital of Central California (6-10 p.m. – private residence)
- Sept. 16: Central California Women’s Conference at the Fresno Convention Center (8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.)
- Sept. 19: Safari Night at the Zoo, Fresno Chaffee Zoo (6-8 p.m.)
- Sept. 19: Eagle Springs Golf Tournament (9 a.m.-3 p.m.)
- Sept. 25: Fig Garden Wine Walk (5-8 p.m.)
At the Fig Garden Wine Walk, attendees will be the first to taste three new varietal “Art & Science” wines in a partnership with Fresno State’s graphic design program.
Fresno State’s viticulture and enology program in the Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology at Fresno State was the nation’s first bonded commercial winery to operate on a university campus. Fresno State wines have won nearly 600 awards since the license was obtained in 1997. Located at 2360 E. Barstow Ave., the winery sells its student products at the Gibson Farm Market and various retail establishments throughout the Valley.
For more information, contact Kevin Smith at 559.278.4867.
(Copy by Jodi Raley University Communications student news assistant.)