Summer membership rate for students also available
Memberships to the Student Recreation Center for employees of California State University, Fresno will be available beginning June 1, the Division of Student Affairs announced today.
Faculty/Staff/ Manager Membership rates will be $30/monthly or $300/annually (12 month). One adult (at least 18 years old) may accompany an employee member by purchasing a daily guest pass for $5/day. Locker rental is available for $45/semester or $120/annually (12
month). Towel service is available for $5/semester.
Employees may purchase memberships at the Student Recreation Center office located on the 2nd floor) beginning at 8 a.m. on June 1. Payment can be made by cash, check, visa or MasterCard. The Fresno state ID card is required for enrollment.
Fresno State students, who with a university ID card are allowed to use the center free during the regular academic year, will need to purchase a summer membership for $25., said Dr. Carolyn Coon, executive director for Student Life at Fresno State. Students who completed the spring semester and new students who are pre-enrolled for the fall semester and have completed “Dog Days” can purchase a summer package membership, which runs from May 21 through Aug 27. Proof of enrollment and university ID are required.
Fresno State’s new student recreation center is located just west of the Save Mart Center. It is notable for several reasons. It is one of the finest university recreation centers on the West Coast, according to director Derek Walters. The new center was also completely funded by students, through a student fee they charged themselves, and major private donors.
The 92,000-square-foot Recreation Center includes:
• A 14,000-square-foot fitness center with cardiovascular and strength equipment for able-bodied and disabled people and stretching mats. A special feature is a four-sided, 18-screen television kiosk at the center of the center with wireless FM transmitters to the workout machines to provide TV audio for use with personal headphones. The television kiosk was financed through a $100,000 donation from Associated Students.
• Two gymnasiums with four NCAA regulation-size basketball and volleyball courts with scoreboards and side baskets and six badminton courts. The gyms have a maple floor surface.
• A walking/running track with rubberized surface on the second floor with a view of the gymnasiums below. The three-lane, one-eighth-mile track has pace
clocks at each curve. An area for cardiovascular machines and stretching also is on the second floor.
• An aerobic studio with a maple floor; It can be divided into two rooms for multiple exercise sessions, meetings and clinics.
• Two racquetball courts with maple floors. Glass back walls allow spectator viewing.
• A landscaped outdoor courtyard with tables and chairs will be located on the east side of the building next to the Save Mart Center.
• Men’s and women’s shower-locker rooms. For more information call 559.347.3800.
Monday — Friday 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Academic year hours:
Monday — Friday 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Sunday Noon to 11 p.m.