(May 28, 2016) — Fresno State’s Army ROTC Bulldog Battalion commissioned eight Class of 2016 graduates as second lieutenants during a pinning ceremony last week that was part of the university’s Commencement season.
2nd Lt. Lakhwinder Singh of Tracy was presented the Distinguished Military Graduate Award, which honors the top 10 percent students in the nation. He also was presented the George C. Marshall Leadership Award, which annually honors the senior cadet who has demonstrated outstanding leadership and scholastic qualities.
Major General Heidi Brown, director of Global Operations for the U.S. Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, was the guest of honor and presented the graduates with their certificates at the Clovis Veterans Memorial District where more than 250 family members and friends gathered May 20.
The newly commissioned officers who received their first salutes at the ceremony are:
- Lakhwinder Singh (B.S. – Criminology/ Law Enforcement option) of Tracy who, in addition to receiving the Distinguished Military Graduate Award and the George C. Marshall Leadership Award, will enter active duty as an infantry officer in Hawaii.
- Ryan Carder (B.S. – Criminology/Law Enforcement option) of Palmdale who will be assigned to Ft Drumm in New York as an infantry officer.
- Arianna Jasmine Castrellon (B.A. – Mass Communication and Journalism) of Fresno who will join the Army Reserves as a signal officer.
- Aislinn Gunn (B.S. – Nursing) of Aptos who will join active duty as a nurse corps officer.
- Sean Koerner (B.A. – Political Science) of Bakersfield who will enter active duty as an air defense artillery officer.
- Anthony Mosqueda (B.S. – Criminology/ Law Enforcement option) of Littlerock, CA who will enter active duty as an infantry officer.
- Kenneth NeSmith (B.S. – Agricultural Business) of Kerman who will be assigned to Bakersfield as a transportation officer in the National Guard.
- Brandon Silva (B.S. – Kinesiology/Exercise Science option) of Fresno who will enter the National Guard as a transportation officer.